Radio Studio Desks Commission

In this video I make some desks for a local radio station studio as a commission

Circular Plywood Coffee Table

I had a few small offcuts of this 18mm spruce plywood, and they were kind of getting in the way in the workshop so I wanted to find a use for them.  These were offcuts from the hifi unit commission that I made recently.
 
I wanted to make another plywood table top because I really like the last one that I'd made.  But I wanted this one to be quite different in style.
 
I started by ripping the pieces of ply in to 35mm wide strips at the tablesaw
 

Converting A Dining Table In To A Coffee Table - Habitat Kilo

In this video I convert a Habitat Kilo dining table in to a coffee table for a friend.

Restoring A Mid Century Modern / Ercol Style Coffee Table

In this video I restore a mid century modern / ercol style coffee table that was given to me at car boot sale. 

It had one or two broken legs, and the top had some heat marks and stains and generally looked dry and in bad condition.

The legs had wooden threads which screwed in to the leg mounts on the bottom of the table.  I didn't really like this method of construction so I wanted to come up with something better and more solid.

Custom Desk And Speaker Stands With Ikea Lerberg Legs (part 2 of 2)

In part 2 of the build, I got started making the monitor stands.
 
I used some scraps of ply I had in the workshop, and they were varying thicknesses – so I needed to compensate by cutting some of the panels 3mm wider to keep both stands looking consistent.
 

Custom Desk And Speaker Stands With Ikea Lerberg Legs (Part 1 of 2)

In this video I make a custom desk for a friend, who is a local musician.  She was looking for a desk where she could sit and work on music production and mixing with some stands for her monitor speakers.  She wanted a desk with character in reclaimed wood, and she sent me a few photos of the sort of thing that she was hoping for.  I did some 3D drawings for her in SketchUp and we settled on a design.
 

Making A Treasure Chest Blanket Box / Ottoman (part 2 of 2)

In this video I start by finishing off the arcs for the lid that I started making in the previous video.  I cut one of them in half on the bandsaw to give me 2x thinner ones (for each end) and one wide one (for the middle of the lid).

I needed to cut a rebate joint in to one side of each end arc and both sides of the central arc.  I did this by putting my trim router upside down in the vise to use as a makeshift router table - which worked well.

Then I glued and clamped the arcs in place.

Making A Treasure Chest Blanket Box / Ottoman (part 1 of 2)

In this video I start making a blanket box in the style of a treasure chest using a donated slab of sapele and some pieces of pine from my workshop.

I started by drawing up a 3D model of what I wanted to make in SketchUp.  

Then I ripped the sapele in to 40mm thick strips, thickness planed them so that they were 40mm x 40mm, and then cut a 12mm x 12mm rebate joint along the full length of each piece on the tablesaw.

Oak Bedside Tables

This project was mainly driven by the need to make use of some left over oak veneered MDF.  It's the same material as I used for the previous project - the coat and shoe rack, and I needed to clear some space in my workshop which meant using up the rest of it.  Because some of the pieces were quite short, I had the idea of making some bedside tables, and when I started using SketchUp to make a 3D model I found that I had just enough material to make 2x matching ones.  Unfortunately some of the material had some mould on it, so I couldn't use everything that I had.

Restoring A Mid Century Modern Sideboard

In this video I buy and restore a secondhand mid century modern style sideboard.  

I came across this while browsing through my facebook feed, it looked like someone was going to throw it away, so I bought it from them, paying £20.  

It wasn't in too bad condition, but it had some scratches, heat and water stains and one of the drawer runners was missing.  The finish was also quite dull.

I started out by making a new set of drawer runners for it, as the old ones were softwood and only attached with staples and very little glue - not very well made...

Pages